Thursday 19 June 2008

My Recommendation: Oversize Bag


My oversized Camilla Staerk bag has been my secondary support system for the past two years. Adopting the role of a mobile office, it can fit everything into it, from my personal computer to my make-up bag. People often joke that my big bag is large enough to keep a small child inside. They may laugh initially but on a night out I will suddenly discover that my bag is being filled with coats to avoid the cloakroom penalty charge of a pound an item. The inspiration for Staerk’s oversized carrier came from her father. Working as a furniture designer in Denmark, Peter Staerk needed to transport Verner Panton glass dishes back and forth. His solution was to create a large spacious leather duffel bag. Measuring 90cm by 90cm, it is simply a large square. It is, perhaps, considered excessive to carry such an enormous shoulder bag but without it and all the items inside, I feel socially misplaced.In homage to Mary Poppin’s bottomless carpetbag, my bag can cater for every eventuality. As a Londoner, England’s unpredictable weather requires the use of an umbrella on a daily basis and then, rather unusually, the advantage of owning a hand held fan for the unbearable underground temperatures on the tube. I can even carry an extra pair of shoes that will transform a day outfit into an evening one. These are my everyday essential items that live in their oversized container until called upon. Clearly carrying so many items on one shoulder is, perhaps, awkward at first. I am continually surprised at how much excess weight my back is prepared to put up with. Truth be told, I have tried to down size to give my body a rest but to sacrifice my live in bag would mean lugging a great number of mismatching smaller carriers as a replacement. And honestly, who wants to be seen as a bag lady? The hustle and bustle of London life has taught me to be prepared for anything. Thank goodness I have my portable home to lend a hand at a moment’s notice.

1 comment:

Hollowlegs said...

Kezzer,I think you must get your attachment to a bag from your mother! Does your talent for black mean this will be life long? Mx